Follow me on Twitter!


Tuesday, December 1, 2015

It's Official: CFG Analysis Going on Hiatus

For the first couple of months after the Games, I kept thinking that I needed to get started on my Games recap and hopefully a few new analyses for the offseason.  I'd do it tomorrow, I thought, just after work and life slow down.  When would that happen?  Tomorrow turned into next week, next week turned into next month.  Sometime in November, I realized the slowdown wasn't coming any time soon.

I've been adding more and more to this site for the past three years, culminating with the 2nd annual Games Pick 'Em contest this year, which went as well as I could have hoped.  We had nearly 75 entries and I was able to keep the standings up to date throughout the up-and-down Games weekend.  But since that time, work has picked up and shows no signs of slowing.  On top of that, my wife and I are expecting our second child in April 2016.  There's just no way I can realistically keep the bar high for content on this site with my current schedule.  And if it's going to turn into a half-assed effort, I don't think it's worth it.  I'm proud of the level of quality and timeliness that I reached with the site in 2015, and I don't want to sacrifice that.

I don't know if the site is done forever.  I hope not, but I also realize it will be hard to get resurrect things after a long time off.  My goal is to keep somewhat up to date with aggregating data, which has always been the toughest part of this operation.  The web site itself will remain up, so hopefully those of you that are relatively new can still peruse old posts, many of which are still relevant today, in my opinion.

I'd like to thank everyone who has read, commented or contributed to this site over the past three years.  Almost all the feedback I received here was positive, or at least constructive.  I've only met a handful of you in person, but I feel like I had a small little community of folks that I "knew," albeit only through internet comments, podcast and tweets.  So if and when the day comes to get this thing started again, I hope you'll all be here to start reading again.

As always, good luck with your training!

11 comments:

  1. Damn! Going to miss the posts, but totally understand. Thanks for all of the work and content you've put out. Hope to see it come back some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anders, thanks for the work you did. I really enjoyed it. Hope there can be some future content!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to miss this site. There was a higher level of analysis going on here than most Crossfit related sites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for everything you shared. I'm a big fan of your work. (from Portugal)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog about data analysis. If you want to know more about how to integrate data, please contact us from the links below

    For candidates and students looking for all important information and details regarding informatica scenario based questions then the best place to be is this particular website. There are several trained and experienced professionals making sure everything works out in your favor. The data warehouse interview questions is designed in such a manner that it is quite easy and convenient enough to learn important things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you get access to the opens data? Did you download data from the site or request it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past, there has never been a way to "request" the data from HQ. The first few years, I found creative ways to copy the data to my computer (for instance, finding the HTML address of the actual table and expanding it to show more than 60 rows), but for the past couple years, I've had help from others downloading the data. Last year I got the data from Sam Swift's web site:

      http://swift.pw/crossfit-games-data-2012-2015/

      Delete
  7. Wow this sucks! Just came here to check if you had done anything for this years open and saw this. Thanks for all the awesome content you have put it out over the years! Good luck and hopefully we will see you back here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the work you did. I really enjoyed it. Hope there can be some future content!
    i find a free website which are Analyze your website and Competitor websites @ site rapper

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete